Sunday, October 4, 2015

List of Future Topics

[update Oct 2015. ] 
Because there are many possible topics that I can work on, and little time to complete posts about them, I am breaking with my previous tradition of only presenting results if I have also completed taking data on the phenomena.  I will instead be splitting the theory and data into two separate posts.  Expect delays between theory posts and completed data/correlation posts.  

     Santorine




  The project continues...

I started working on math and physics topics in EVE in 2009.  This effort culminated in the first online presentation of the work in 2010 and wide readership in the EVE community and beyond.  Since that time I've moved from google knol, to google docs, and now to a blog format.  

The technical work is also progressing.  While I do have time to work on theory, it takes considerably longer to write up the notes and longer still to add experimental results.  There are many more topics to explore...


"This is just the beginning!" 

 I will be maintaining a list of topics that are in need of further work.  This list has existed for a long time, and progress is slow because I am busy with life.  If you are interested in adding a topic for analysis, or you wish to contribute insights from your own work, please let me know.  
  • Develop analytical approach to manual orbit techniques and compare performance with built-in command methods. 
  • Write introductory/forward material.  This section was removed in 2012, so an update on this is long overdue. I may also use this opportunity to comment on the significance of the motion models in context of gaming mechanics in general.  
  • Code:  Provide @tamber with motion code for his visualization tool.  [Added August 2016]
  • ExperimentalWrite up my existing notes on warp alignment time, and then compare with data.  This is straightforward, but not as interesting as some of the other topics because it isn't about ship interaction. If I were to include bump interaction in the time-to-warp analysis, it would be more interesting, but I don't have an elegant experiment for this... yet.  [Added Sept 2016]
  • Code: Update all tables with data from an API/dB scan.  I'm not a "coder" so I don't have rapid facility with writing database tools.  Most of the data in this writing, however, dates back to the age of Dominion, so when I get time I will learn some python and extract all the data again for my plot script. 
  • Advanced topics in bumping larger ships.  This requires a bit more work on the physics side before it is ready for a write-up.  [Theory posted Nov 20/2015. Data posted Jan 1/2016.]
  • Effect of modules on maximum angular velocity summary table is complete.  Effect for bump distance, however, still needs to be completed.  This would be in Section II/III blog posts.
  • Writing: Improve the clarity of the keep-at-range  and approach counters to orbiting targets.  
  • Complete the addition of keep-at-range and approach counters for ships approaching along a constant vector.  This is similar to the existing method in Part III.  
  • Experimental work: In Part II, I cover automatic orbits both in closed form and experimentally.  There is clearly a 'fudge' factor that is added to the orbit distance results.  I showed that this was constant for a given hull, without regard for the fitted modules.  Is this dependent on hull even if motion parameters are identical?  Find the common theme in this R0 factor.
  • Experimental work: Test server evaluation of "Drebuchet" collision energy and section write-up.  Simple experiment should yield a previously unknown energy constant.[Added July 2016 - RnK posted some data in their tactical video.]
  • I've completed part of the analysis of so-called 'sling-shot' tackling maneuvers.  The write-up, however, requires a lot of background so this is a long term addition to the blog.
  • Experimental work: The Time-to-warp calculation is trivial based on the writing so far assuming there are no external forces influencing ship motion.  Design an experiment that allows me to measure the effect of bumping on change in align time.  
  • Target prioritization theory!  Formal methods are in no way limited to the physics of ship motion.  This subject has been touched on by many theorists before but I have some added formalism to contribute to the discussion. [1st installment - Mar. 2018]
  • Based on the analysis that I did on 'Keep At Range' and 'Approach' as methods to control angular velocity, I will compare with other popular methods for tracking targets.  The theory is mostly written up already, I just need to make a spreadsheet of interactions. [Topic added Nov. 2015]
  • Correct an error in the 'Mass Matters' section in Part I, thanks to a comment from a friendly reader. [Topic added Dec. 2015, Completed Dec. 21/2015]
  •  Complete Part II section on closed-form orbits and show how orbit distance is being affected.  Summarize with object size summary. [Added Jan. 2016].  
 Please consider commenting on this article if there are other topics that you think are interesting and relevant. 


Best Regards,

S. Santorine

No comments:

Post a Comment